Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Fellowship

I went ahead and applied. Today was the deadline, and I waited until this afternoon to finally make up my mind. The sixty dollar application fee was enough to make me hesitate, but finally I figured I might as well do it; I'm fortunately at a place in my life now where I can actually afford to toss away sixty dollars (not regularly, though). I know going in that I have a greater than 99% chance of not getting it, so my hopes aren't too high. But you never know until you try what could happen. I'm sure some of the 1,400 applications are really not very good, although I'd wager that many, many of them are excellent. And I know my work is at least decent. I have the degrees. I'm being taken seriously enough by top tier journals to at least earn an encouraging note now and again. So most likely I used up a bit of time applying, made my bank account a little lighter, and won't gain anything tangible from it, but possibly in a few months my whole life will change.

2 comments:

Ashley Cowger said...

I'm glad you went for it, anyway. You never know...

PancakePhilosopher said...

Good for you! I think most applicants probably feel that way. By the time all my grad school apps are sent, the accumulated costs of this venture will have cost me upwards of about 450-500$...ouch! (App fees, GRE fees, school fines, etc.) Everything costs money and I hate it. And just think, the exposure you've had in journals and the things you've learned in grad school probably give you somewhat of an edge against applicants who haven't had that experience.